Set up by the British administration in the 1780s and named after marine surveyor Captain Daniel Ross, Ross Island features old houses, a church, a market, stores, a bakery, a swimming pool, tennis courts, a hospital, a cemetery, and other buildings. However, as the island is now abandoned, the tropical tree roots are taking over.
One of the Andaman Islands, Ross Island belongs to the South Andaman administrative district and is situated just 3 km (2 mi) east from downtown Port Blair. In 1857 the British setup Ross Island Penal Colony, and then this island became the Administrative Headquarters for the Andaman Islands until 1941. The most luxurious building on the island— the Chief Commissioner’s residence—had large gardens, grand ballrooms, and reception halls.
In 1942 during World War II, the Japanese invaded the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. One year before that, Ross Island experienced a major earthquake, after which the Island was almost abandoned. The allies reoccupied the island in 1945 but didn't stay there, so the main residents of Ross Island are deer and peacocks that wander among the forest of palm and coconut trees.
The best time to visit Ross Island is from November through March.