Best time to travel to Hong Kong

Pink Dolphin Watching in Hong Kong 2024-2025

Pink dolphins are so popular that they have become a mascot of Hong Kong

Best time: all year round

Pink Dolphin Watching
Pink Dolphin Watching
Pink Dolphin Watching
Pink Dolphin Watching

These iconic creatures live in The Pearl River Delta between Hong Kong and Macau. And yes, they are pink. They are even pinker than the Boto dolphins in the Amazon River. And what a surprise, their habitat is in the most densely populated city area, almost within a couple of kilometres of one of the world's busiest shipping centres.

Since these lovely pink dolphins are comfortable with vessels nearby, they sometimes come quite close. A boat tour lasts for three hours, during which you may see the dolphins for a couple of minutes only, but that definitely is worth trying as the human-made and natural sights around the Pearl River estuary and Hong Kong are rightfully gorgeous.

Dolphin watching cruises are available all year round. Take a camera with you and pick a day that's not too gloomy to enjoy pink dolphins playing in the sea. 96% of trips are successful. The other 4% have a chance to take another dolphin cruise for free.

Practical info

What is the suitable time of year to spot pink dolphins in Hong Kong?

To view the pink dolphins in Hong Kong, you should consider going on a cruise from September to November, during the autumn season. The autumn season is suitable if you are looking to have favourable weather conditions to spot these dolphins. However, please keep in mind that it is not guaranteed to spot them as they are not in captivity. Show more

Where are the places to spot pink dolphins in Hong Kong?

Pink dolphins in Hong Kong can be spotted where freshwater Pearl River meets the saltwater of the South China Sea. These areas provide favourable feeding and socializing locations for dolphins due to the abundance of fish and boat traffic in these areas. While dolphins can also be seen in other regions, the eastern part of Lantau Island and western boundaries of the Territory are a few spots to consider. Show more

What causes the pink color of dolphins living in Hong Kong?

The dolphins' high blood flow makes them appear pink. The capillaries located close to dolphins' skin surfaces receive more oxygen and nutrients than other dolphins species, resulting in a more visible network of veins close to the skin surface. As a result, they appear pink or red, making the pink dolphins in Hong Kong special for its unique characteristic. Show more

Is there any other dolphin species present in the area along with the pink dolphins in Hong Kong?

Apart from pink dolphins, Chinese white dolphins and Indo-Pacific humpback dolphins are present in the same regions. The Chinese white dolphin is a sub-species of pink dolphins but has a completely different colour - grey. The habitat of these dolphins mostly overlaps with the pink dolphins; hence they are frequently found in the same location. Show more

Is it possible to swim with pink dolphins in Hong Kong?

No, swimming with pink dolphins in Hong Kong is strictly forbidden by law. You can approach them in boats, but getting too close or attempting to touch them is prohibited. The Hong Kong Government has implemented strict regulations to protect the endangered species, and it is prohibited to harass, hunt, or export these dolphins. Show more

Ask a question

Find hotels and airbnbs near Pink Dolphin Watching (Map)

Last updated: